I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately around Chakras so I wanted to share some of what I know about them with you.
Chakras are energy centre connected to your life force. A simpler way to look at it is to see them as a row of connected light bulbs. If one bulb goes out then the intensity of the light decreases. If two bulbs go out then the light becomes even dimmer… etc. The same thing will happen to the body’s energy field. If the life force coming from one or more of our chakra’s become weak your overall life force will be weak. When this happens we open ourselves up to the possibilities of illness.
The work that is needed to heal your entire being is a lifelong commitment and trust me it’s no joke. This type of self-work is hard. But it’s the best work you can do to understand and heal yourself when you are feeling out of balance.
What are Chakras?
Chakra in the language of Sanskrit means wheel or vortex. Chakras are a series of circular energy centres found in and around the body. There are several minor chakra points that can be found in the body. Some of which can be found in the palm of the hands and on the sole of the feet. Today we’re only going to talk about the 7 major Chakra points located at the base of the spine up to the crown of the head.
Did you know that Chakras affect the flow of energy in and around our bodies? A healthy balanced chakra system is supposed to spin in a circular motion. When it does that you’ll feel balanced, grounded, content, peaceful and filled with joy. If you’re feeling tired, confused, restless and unhappy your chakras are most likely out of balance.
Here’s what you can do to bring them back into balance
Sit in a meditative position and focus on each Chakra and their colour. Start with the
Root Chakra (red). End with the Crown Chakra which is the ‘lavender’.
Eat fruits and vegetables that consist of the same colours as each Chakra
Listen to calming Chakra balancing music, you can find tons of music on YouTube.
Book a crystal healing session to balance out your Chakra with the colours for your
Book a Reiki Energy Healing session that will realign your Chakras back into balance.
Keep in mind, it’s a lifelong commitment if we want to maintain a life filled with balance and harmony. Doing the work listed above one time will NOT get you in a permanent balance state. The only way you will get that is if you carve out time to do the work day and then actually do the work.
The Seven Chakras & Their Meanings
Root or Base Chakra
1st Chakra: Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded. This is the first Chakra.
- Element: Earth
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Sanskrit Name: Muladhara
- Association Colour: Red
- Imbalances: Anemia, fatigue, lower back pain, sciatica, depression. Frequent colds or cold hands and cold feet.
- Lesson: Survival–The right to exist. Deals with tasks related to the material and physical world. Ability to stand up for oneself and security issues.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, family, relationships, sexuality, money and food.
- Stimulant: Physical exercise and restful sleep, gardening, pottery and clay, red food & drink, red gemstones, red clothing, bathing in red, etc.
- Mantra: LAM
2nd Chakra: Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Element: Water
- Location: Lower abdomen, about two inches below the navel and two inches in.
- Sanskrit Name: Swadhisthana
- Association Colour: Orange (Nourishing)
- Imbalances: Eating disorders. Alcohol and drug abuse. Depression. Low back pain. Asthma or allergies. Candida & yeast infections. Urinary problems. Sensuality issues as well as impotence and frigidity
- Lesson: Feelings—The right to feel. Connected to our sensing abilities and issues related to feelings. Ability to be social and intimacy issues
- Emotional issues: It governs our Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexual energy, creativity, desires, self-gratification, addictions, physical sensations and movement. This chakra connects people through their feelings.
- Stimulant: Hot aromatic baths, water aerobics, massage, embracing sensation (such as different food tastes), orange food & drink, orange gemstones and orange clothing.
- Mantra: VAM
Solar Plexus Chakra
3rd Chakra: Our ability to be confident and in control of our lives. Linked to the digestive system
- Element: Fire
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area right above the navel.
- Sanskrit Name: Manipura
- Association Colour: Yellow (Confidence)
- Imbalances: Digestive problems, ulcers, diabetes, hypoglycemia, constipation. Nervousness, toxicity, parasites, colitis, poor memory.
- Lesson: Personal power – The right to think, the balance of intellect, self-confidence and ego power. Ability to have self-control and humour.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, ego, self-confidence, intuition and self-esteem, inner fire.
- Stimulant: Taking classes, reading informative books, doing mind puzzles. Sunshine. detoxification programs. Yellow food & drink. Yellow gemstones and yellow clothing. Using yellow oils such as lemon or rosemary essential oils.
- Mantra: RAM
4th Chakra: Our ability to love.
- Element: Air
- Location: Center of chest just above the heart
- Sanskrit Name: Anahata
- Association Colour: Green (Confidence)
- Imbalances: Heart and breathing disorders. Heart and breast cancer. Chest pain. High blood pressure. Passivity. Immune system problems. Muscular tension.
- Lesson: Relationships–The right to love. Love, forgiveness, compassion. Ability to have self-control. Acceptance of oneself.
- Emotional issues: Related to unconditional love, compassion, well-being, harmony, equilibrium and the union of male and female energies.
- Stimulant: Nature walks, time spent with family or friends. Green food & drink. Green gemstones and green clothing.
- Mantra: YAM
5th Chakra: Our ability to communicate
- Element: Akasha
- Location: Throat region
- Sanskrit Name: Vishuddha
- Association Colour: Blue ( Intuition )
- Imbalances: Thyroid imbalances, swollen glands, fevers and flu, infections, mouth, jaw, tongue, neck, shoulder problems, hyperactivity, hormonal disorders such as PMS, mood swings, bloating and menopause.
- Lesson: Relationships – The right to speak. Learning to express oneself and one’s beliefs (truthful expression). Ability to trust. Loyalty. Organization and planning
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, growth, maturity and the truth.
- Stimulant: Singing (in the shower), poetry, stamp or art collecting, meaningful conversations, blue food & drink. Blue gemstones and blue clothing.
- Mantra: HAM
Third Eye Chakra
6th Chakra: Our ability to focus on and see the big picture. Meditating on this centre point helps to centre and still the mind.
- Element: Mahasattva
- Location: Forehead between the eyes (also called the Brow Chakra)
- Sanskrit Name: Ajna
- Association Colour: Purple Indigo (Connecting Intuition)
- Imbalances: Learning disabilities, coordination problems, sleep disorders, thyroid imbalances, swollen glands. Fevers and flu. Infections. Mouth, jaw, tongue, neck and shoulders problems. Hyperactivity. Hormonal disorders such as PMS, mood swings, bloating and menopause.
- Lesson: Intuition – The right to “see.” Trusting one’s intuition and insights. Developing one’s psychic abilities. Self-realization. Releasing hidden and repressed negative thoughts.
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, self-reflection, truth and seeing the big picture, wisdom and the ability to think and make decisions.
- Stimulant: Stargazing, meditation, indigo food & drink, indigo gemstones and indigo clothing.
- Mantra: OM or AUM
7th Chakra: The highest chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Sanskrit Name: Sahasrara
- Association Colour: Violet
- Imbalances: lack of spiritual awareness, lack of a higher purpose, and feeling ungrounded or spaced out, headaches, photosensitivity and mental illness, neuralgia, senility right/left brain disorders, coordination problems, epilepsy, varicose veins, blood vessel problems and Skin Rashes
- Lesson: Knowingness – The Crown chakra represents our highest thought, pure consciousness, universal identity, Divine self-knowledge, and our connection to the greater world beyond. The right to aspire. Dedication to the divine consciousness and trusting the universe. Learning about one’s spirituality. Our connection to the concept of “God”, Divine Source or a higher consciousness.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality and pure bliss.
- Stimulant: Focusing on dreams. Writing down one’s visions and inventions. Violet food & drink. Violet gemstones and violet clothing. Using violet oils such as lavender or jasmine essential oils.
- Mantra: AUM
Like what you read? Sign up for a weekly dose of wellness goodness.
I love the post… I would prefer hands on practice with a experienced Instructor. This would be great with a group of ladies and/or men. That feels like, I feel sometimes overwhelmed, running out of time, and fatigue… We can lock up the cell phone during meditations… Anyone, know of someone interested please send me what you all think fair and your expectations… I would attend…
I’m in the midst of planning one, which will take place in the next few months or so. If you are in Toronto, please jump on my mailing list so you will be notified of the exact date and location. I also want to do some virtual ones as well so look out for those.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.
Speak to you soon o see you sooner,
Be You Too Full overflowing ennobling beauty IN you and surrounding you! May all thanksgivings rise to the THRONE OF THE ALMIGHTY FOR THE AMAZING GRACE!
Wonderful!! Thank you for taking the time to stop by to read and share your love!
Love, light and blessings to you.
Chakras can seem like something out of this world or very hard to understand. I suppose that’s because they’re not necessarily a physical thing we can see. This, however, lays it out in ways that we can all understand! Thank you!
Thank you for an easy to understand the definition of Chakras. This post is awesome! I’m going to print it out and share it with friends 🙂
LOVE IT! Another chakra lady! Totally love what you’re doing. Keep it up beautiful!
Really enjoyed this post, you gave some real informative content.
Thanks so much Mike! I’m happy you enjoyed it!
Interesting..didnt know how this all came together. I do enjoy using essentials oils in conjunction with herbs for a more holistic approach to things. Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome, Lisa!
Essential oils are a godsend! You can couple the colour of your chakra with an essential oil with the same hue to heal the part of your body you’re trying to heal.
A great example would be, if you want to heal any issues you’re having with your throat region, using blue oils such as chamomile or geranium essential oils because the throat chakra is represented by the colour blue. 🙂 XO
Yeah I heard about chakras, never just went deep into it, very informative
I’m happy you found this post useful. 🙂
I never knew there was so much to this. Very interesting, I think a few of mine might be a bit dim.
Oh yes, Michael, understanding your Chakras is so important to our overall health.
Try some of the tips I suggested and let me know how you feel after a week.